After a lengthy period of unemployment it can sometimes take
years to recover from the effects of unemployment. Aside from the obvious
negative financial aspects of being unemployed, unemployment can have lasting
effects in other aspects of your life; physical, mental and spiritual.
From 2008-2012, I was unemployed for 20 months total; a six
month stint, then did some contract work for almost 2 years, then another 14
months of unemployment. During this time I was without medical and dental
insurance. While my physical health has remained pretty good, my dental health has
always been a challenge and that didn’t change just because I didn’t have
insurance. Even though I’ve been working for almost 2 years now, I am still
trying to repair some of the problems that began while I was unemployed. Just
last Monday, I had to have 3 fillings, two extractions and a root canal and
still have more work that needs to be done. Despite having the mouth of a 70
year old, I am still smiling; it’s just not as big as it used to be. By spring,
the transformation should be complete and the big smile will be back!
For a while, I really let the whole bad teeth thing mess with
me mentally. I constantly berated myself for not doing more prior to being unemployed.
Having teeth that are broken and cracked not only cause physical pain, but also
made me feel bad about myself for a little while. For a short period of time, I
thought that I would not be taken seriously and looked down upon by hiring
managers if my teeth weren’t perfect. On occasion it still makes me a little
sad that my mouth is in such bad shape, but I pull myself out of that because
it is something that can be fixed and ultimately it doesn’t change my character
or who I am.
So being unemployed wasn’t good for my teeth and made me experience
some self doubt, one of the positives is that my faith was strengthened TREMENDOUSLY!
Thankfully this has also been an after effect of unemployment. I am in a place
of peace and understanding that only grace can provide. Had I not gone through this
difficulty, who knows if my relationship with God would have developed like it
has. I’m just thankful that it drew me near as opposed to pushing me away. I know
that I’ve said it before, but I have to reiterate that if not for my time of
unemployment I would still be floundering around, looking for fulfillment as
opposed to having realized my purpose and pursuing that.
The side effects of unemployment can seem overwhelming, but many
are superficial and can be fixed over time. Whether your issues are like mine
or something totally different, as long as we have breath, we have the opportunity
change our lives. As you look at the picture on my blog, know that behind that
smile is pain, trials and tribulations, but in spite of it all, I still smile.
Some people smile and it comes off as rather "simple" or, I don't know, shallow; it could be their temperament but the kind of people who act as if everything is ok simply because they'd rather not think about the difficult things in life: in their lives and in the lives of others. Those types of people always annoyed me. I prefer a smile like yours. To me, a person who can fully acknowledge pain and problems and the realities of a fallen world and still smile. ..now THAT'S miraculous. Plus I prefer a smile like yours cause it's just hot!;-)
ReplyDelete