I really dislike the word “networking”. I use dislike
because I’m not supposed to hate. I have such a hard time grasping the concept
that having the necessary skills, experience and education can’t get you a job
that you are qualified for. I got my current job through my “network”, but how
likely is it that my dream job is going to include someone in my network? Not very
likely. Even though I don’t like certain aspects of networking, I do understand
that it is expected and can be helpful when searching for a job.
What I found particularly successful in terms of networking was
reaching out to people already in my life. People tend to be more willing to
help if they have a vested interest or existing relationship. It’s better to
reach out to a former co-worker than your mom’s friend’s sister’s cousin who
works in HR. Your former co-worker might actually care that you are unemployed
and if nothing else might get your resume into the hands of hiring managers. That
cousin however, may not be willing to stick his or her neck out for someone
they don’t know. During my unemployment I didn’t let pride keep me from talking
to people about my struggles and ultimately that is what lead to my former
co-worker contacting me about a position he had just gotten hired for and they
were looking for additional people.
Another success tactic is one that I stumbled upon, a job
search group. Each week the group of unemployed professionals meets and usually
has a presentation or speaker from a local business. The presentation topics ranged
anywhere from personal branding, to updating your Linked In profile to the
importance of having your elevator speech prepared. Members of this group also have
access to a certified resume expert that reviews your resume and offers tips on
how to make improvements. During these meetings members also have the
opportunity to introduce themselves and give a little of their background
information. This is important because I might have knowledge of job that I’m
not qualified for, but someone in the group could be an ideal candidate. There
are many of these groups all across the country and some have specific target
groups. For example, the one I was in was for people who either had management
experience or were college graduates. Another example is groups for older
workers, they sometimes have unique challenges and those need to be addressed
separately.
So if you are like myself and tend to be anti-social,
networking in the traditional sense can be a horrific experience. The idea of
walking up to complete strangers with the intent of pulling them into your “network”
is just too much for me and makes me extremely nervous. Focus on who you
already know and join a group that will ease you into the expansion of your
network. When you start your next job, continue to meet new people and before you
know it, you could be that connection someone else needs.
No comments:
Post a Comment