Sunday, December 8, 2013

Is There A Job You Won't Take?


This is a touchy subject that can have so many variables and layers and couldn’t possibly be summed up easily. The response to this question will and should vary depending on each individual’s situation. The main factor that can come into play for me was how long I had been unemployed. During different points in my unemployment I thought to myself, “Ok, at what point do I start applying for jobs that I would normally not consider?” Is there a time frame? Do I wait until my unemployment compensation runs out?

Regardless of my education and experience, in my mind, some money is better than no money. So, if the unemployment benefits had run out, I would have probably accepted any legal job that was offered to me. I have to provide shelter, food and clothing for my child and if that means working at McDonald’s until I can find something else, so be it. I am not of the opinion that any job is beneath me. Does it mean I would be content? No. But I would gladly cook some fries or clean toilets if it meant I could keep a roof over our heads and food in our mouths.

My current job is not exactly where I want to be, but it is a foot in the door at a large financial institution. After a bad experience in banking during college, I said I’d never go back to banking. The phrase, “never say never” couldn’t ring any more true. I’m currently in customer service in a call center. Not where I saw myself after completing my MBA a few years back, but this is where I ended up, and I am thankful for it. I’ve had better jobs and I’ve had worse jobs. I am very thankful that I am now gainfully employed and don’t hate what I do. I have the opportunity to meet new people each day, which could lead to my next role.

I am also thankful that this opportunity presented itself pretty late in my road down unemployment. Had I been only six months in, I might have tried to pass on this. This job has taught me a lot about myself. It led to clarity on my purpose and keeps me striving towards bringing that to fruition. So, if you are at a place where you need to work, but the ideal opportunity has not presented itself, consider doing something you wouldn’t normally do. You never know where it might take you.

I’ll end with one of my favorite quotes; it helps to remind me that I am exactly where I am meant to be.

“Sooner or later, something seems to call us onto a particular path- this is what I must do, this is who I am.” ~ James Hillman

8 comments:

  1. Very well written and very challenging. It's great that you have taken the challenges in your life and are putting them into words so that countless others might find support during their own challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josh, it's partially therapeutic for me as well.

      Delete
  2. Christa great blog I will be following you!!! Congratulations on the new job, however I see full time "blogger" in your near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacie! Full time blogger would be very interesting. I'm following your new business on Facebook, congratulations to you as well.

      Delete
  3. I admire your honestly and willingness to help someone out in this bad economic time. Great Read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJ Layne Luv, my brother from another mother, thanks for your continued support. I look forward to the opportunity to do the same for you in the new year.

      Delete
  4. This is a question I ask myself. I am blessed to have not experience unemployment this far. Yet I know reality and it could happen any time. I'm humble to know like you stated that I would do anything legal and ethical to support myself and my mom. I have cleaned toilets and full apartments in my youth to help my mom. I'm blessed to be where I am. I'm not where I desire to be, thankfully I'm on my way!
    Thank you Christa for another great article♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God's Daughter, thank you for continuing to follow my blog, It's amazing to see how far we've come sometimes, just a small shift in attitude can sometimes make all the difference. Blessings!

      Delete