Earlier this week I read an article from the New York Times,
“Caught in a Revolving Door of Unemployment.” My first reaction to reading the
article was to cry. The first person highlighted in this article was a 53 year
old college graduate who had worked for 30 years. Since being laid off in 2008,
she has yet to find full-time work, in any capacity. McDonald’s turned her down
for being too articulate; she couldn’t get work at a laundry mat because she
was too pretty. The more I read, the sadder I got. I cried for her, I cried for
me.
My next reaction was anger. She had seemingly done all the “right”
things, but has still ended up chronically unemployed and homeless. It made me
upset to recall these same feelings of helplessness I know she is feeling. To
know that you have sent out thousands of resumes and still have no job can be
infuriating, but you can’t let it suck you in. Acknowledge those feelings,
redirect those emotions and keep it moving.
As I read the article again, my anger shifted to gratitude. I
was thankful for my experience, thankful for my current job, thankful for discovering
my purpose and passion and for the courage to begin working towards fulfilling my
purpose. The article mentioned that she’d had two interviews, but neither panned
out. I imagine this was yet another disappointment; she didn’t let it beat her.
She’s using her negative experiences to reinvent her life. She’s now making
plans to start a public access cable show.
I can’t help but come back to gratitude. Had it not been for
my stint of unemployment, many of my current perspectives would be totally different. I
don’t think I would be as grateful as I am for my current job. Is it perfect?
No. Does it pay the bills? Sometimes. Am I glad to have it? YES!!! I am also
thankful for my unemployment because it led me down a path that brought me to
the realization of my purpose. Before that, I was floundering, living just for
me and my family. I now know that that was not the purpose for my life. I am
meant to help people and that’s exactly what I’m going to do. My final reason I
am thankful for my unemployment is that I also came to the realization that my
job and my purpose don’t have to be the same, they can co-exist. Of course I’d like
to get paid to follow my purpose and one day that might happen. For today, I am
happy to have a job that doesn’t rob me of my energy and motivation, so that I can
work on fulfilling my purpose.
The trials and tribulations that we face are inevitable. As long
as we have breath, there is the potential for life to change our plans. I will
gladly take these changes, it means I have breath, and I am thankful for that too!
Happy Thanksgiving!
No comments:
Post a Comment