Perseverance has been a common theme in my life as of late. If
you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know that my unemployment lasted
a good while, but I made it. I had some good times (believe it or not) and some
bad times, but I made it. All in all, I made it, hence the perseverance.
Once I finally got a job, I had to pay my dues. I had to
start at the bottom. Even though my skills and education weren’t necessarily
needed for the job I accepted, I needed a job. Part of my nature is to do my
best if I decide to something. So I went to work each day to do a good job, to
do my best. I sincerely appreciated the opportunity at hand and treated it as
such. After a year in my role, I had a very good idea of what I wanted my next
step to be. And I can say that I achieved that goal a little over a year later.
Very recently I received a promotion and got the exact job I wanted. To some,
two years might have been too long. For who I was 5 years two years is too
long. I have come to appreciate my time, whether good or bad and have learned
that there is a lesson in my pain. That pain, that lesson is an opportunity for
me to grow. I have realized that as long as I am living I am open to trials and
tribulations. And that in those moments is when I learn what I’m made of.
When I first got out of undergrad I wanted to start my own
business. At the time I had a very
specific vision of what I wanted my business to look like, but had NO CLUE how
to make it happen. I had written down my plan many years ago and just left it
alone. Every now and then I would revisit the plan to see if I had come up with
any ideas on how to make it happen. Over the years, the purpose of the business
has remained the same but the look of the business has changed. Originally I wanted
to have a wellness center for women, a facility where women could go to take
wellness classes. While it sounds good in theory, unless I had access a lot of
money for start up costs, this was not going to happen as planned.
During my unemployment and my wellness journey I revamped my
plan. Instead of having a facility for women to come to, why not host wellness
events at various places around the city? With this plan, I can meet the needs
of people, not just women, who need help creating a healthy, balanced life. In
comes The Wellness Loft, an event management company that hosts wellness
events. The inaugural event and launch of The Wellness Loft will be the Spring
Reboot, A Renewing of the Mind, Body and Spirit and will be held April 5, 2014.
As I prepare for what I know is going to be an amazing event
in a few short weeks, I keep going back to this quote from Victor Hugo.
“Nothing can stop an idea whose time has come.”
Don’t give up on your dreams, ideas, or visions! With some
perseverance they will come to fruition.
No comments:
Post a Comment