I considered this very question so many times while I was
unemployed. Even though I already had a bachelor’s and a master’s degree, I would
always consider getting this certification or maybe another bachelor’s degree.
During one of the weekly meetings I attended in my job search program, Columbus
State Community College had a representative come to speak about continuing education
programs. I had decided that if I didn’t have any leads by January of 2012, I was
going to apply for a 10 month pharmaceutical program. Essentially the program
trains you to manage the labs where pharmaceuticals are manufactured. I ended
up getting a lead and a job offer before the end of January so I didn’t apply
to the program.
As I was deciding on whether or not to apply, here are some
of the things I took into consideration. Was the program I was looking to enter
specific? I felt that my BA in History and general MBA were not serving me
well. Many of the jobs that were available had very specific educational
requirements or it was “highly desired” to have a specific degree. When I was
deciding on graduate school I thought a general MBA would be best, otherwise I would
limit myself. Clearly, my thinking is very different than those making the
hiring decisions. But I did understand this as I was considering investing in
more education. The program I was thinking of entering was very specific and
would have led to a very specific job market.
Another consideration was the financial investment. I have
student loans that I am still repaying and was not sure if I wanted to add to
it. Had it been a two year program, I probably would not have considered it. I
still have child to put through college, the money I’d be adding to my debt
could go towards saving for her education. Even though I love going to school
and wouldn’t mind getting a PhD or something, I have to consider what would be
best for my finances.
A final consideration was the investment of my time. Going
back to school would have taken away a good portion of my availability and
could have slowed my job search. The time I would have normally spent looking
for and applying for jobs would have been spent attending classes and
completing assignments. Going back to school would also have potentially made interviewing
difficult, further extending my unemployment.
Again, I ended up not going back to school because I got a
job, but it was high on my list if I hadn’t started working again soon. If this
is something that you are considering, weigh the pros and cons. Do your
research on what to study. Pick a field that is specific and expected to be
growing, not steady or declining. Think about whether or not adding to your
debt is a good idea. Many factors can contribute to making a good decision about
whether or not you should go back to school while you are unemployed.
Ultimately it’s a decision that only you can make, but one
that can have a major affect on your life, so take your time and choose wisely.
No comments:
Post a Comment