Sunday, October 27, 2013

What To Do When You're Unemployed


I’m not going to address the obvious here. It should be a given that the majority of your day should be spent looking and applying for jobs and networking. Let’s focus on how to help deal with the emotional/mental effects of unemployment.

Since you may have a little extra time on your hands, now might be a good time to start doing some of the things you like to do, but normally don’t have time. During my unemployment I spent many, many hours at the computer looking for opportunities that I thought were interesting and then revising my resume to match that job. Sometimes I would get the point where I couldn’t stand the thought of getting on another website to look for work. The thought of even more rejection was just too much at times.

I decided that I was going to start doing some things that I really liked when I needed a break or just to get my mind off of my situation. I LOVE to read so I would grab a new or good old book on the days when I felt it was all going to come crashing down on me. I would let the story take me off the couch in my family room and I would be right there in the middle of whatever story I was reading.

 I was fortunate that I also found a new favorite past time, dance fitness classes! Prior to this, I had never been all that into exercise, but it has helped physically and mentally. This new found love also improved my social life. By nature I’m not overly friendly, but always say hello. After a few years of taking classes with a core group of ladies, I have made some amazing friends; some are very dear to me now. I am so thankful for this much unexpected perk of unemployment.

I challenge you to do some of the things you like to do or have always wanted to do. If you’ve always wanted to write a book, now is the time to try it. If you’ve always wanted to learn how to cook, get to the library, get some books and DVD’s and get cooking. Am I saying neglect your job hunt? Absolutely NOT! But realize that you won’t always have this extra time, you will go back to work and you’ll wish you had spent a little more time on some of your favorite past times.

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. Great blog cuz, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Stuff. Thanks for reminding us life is not one dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christa thank you for sharing these tips! I tell you " the obvious" ummm not so much lol (for some). This is a great reminder to see the blessing in time given to us during challenging times. Keep it up..can't wait for your next blog!★

    ReplyDelete