Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Beginning

Unemployment is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. Since 2008, I've found myself in that position for nearly 2 years. Once for 6 months and a second time for 14 months. The 6 month stretch was the hardest on me, probably because I was totally unprepared.

Just to give a little background, I had worked for a large health care organization in the area for 7 years, completed grad school with an MBA and was ready for a new challenge. However, the organization I was with just wasn't cooperating with my vision. So, I started looking for opportunities elsewhere, and thought I had found it. I had always wanted to get into human resources, and found a postion as a Staffing Manager with an employment service that placed medical and legal professionals. By then I had 8 years of medical experience and contacts, I couldn't have asked for a  better opportunity! I shadowed the Operations Manager, asked all the right questions and ultimately accepted the position when it was offered.

About a month into the position, some of the responsibilities that were discussed during the interview process were not coming along as promised and I realized that I was  glorified telemarketer. The opportunity to build the business through personal connection was only allowed via telephone, getting out in the community and networking was not an option. I addressed this with the Operations Manager and a week or so later, I was coming in(from an interview) and had a voicemail that I didn't need to come in, that I was being fired! I was devastated, I had never been fired. I had left an 8 year employer, all to be fired, for voicing my concerns. So, I used some of my contacts and worked part-time in a doctor's office and collected unemployment while I looked for work.

Not knowing how to manage that stress literally made me sick and I ended up in the hospital. I ended up getting a two year contract with the government. Once that ended, I found myself once again unemployed, only this time it was in the middle of the recession, jobs were scarce and unemployment was high. This time I had a plan to keep myself sane and healthy.

I am by no means a licensed therapist, counselor or HR professional. What I am is a person who has struggled with unemployment and still deal with the effects of that unemployment. I am a person that understands the thoughts, self-doubt and larger than life questions that can plague you during this difficult time. I am a person that wants to share what helped me make it through. I am a person...

4 comments: